Thursday, May 04, 2006

Thursday, May 4th - Chicago, Illinois

Spending forty-eight hours in the windy city at the American Geriatrics Society meetings this week. Running into various and sundry people from my past. I seem to have gone from wunderkind to seasoned veteran in the last five years or so. I suppose in another decade I'll be grand old man. The talks have been intersting - a lot of discussion about the Bush administration's short sighted cutting of funding essential to geriatrics to pay for his Middle East ventures at a time when the numbers of elderly are just about to greatly increase with needs for services going up about 400% in the next fifteen years. The metaphor of Katrina comes to mind, only this time with the feds busy lowering the levees.

Have a couple more meetings to go to and then am returning to Birmingham tomorrow in the afternoon to get ready for a busy weekend with rehearsal, the annual Alzheimer's gala, a political meet and greet that Tommy and I are hosting and the like. Then, on Monday, flying out to DC to teach at the American College of Ob/Gyn meetings.

I survived my first tap show with my physicality intact, if not my dignity. Being dressed as a carrot, a cell phone or Batman with an ostrich feather fan is not something that makes one feel part of high art and culture. Fortunately, I don't think there are a lot of photos.

Kate is continuing to progress. We should have the entire show more or less staged by the end of next week, giving us two weeks to polish before going into tech. There's some very good stuff happening on stage and I think it will end up being one of the better musical productions Birmingham has seen for a while.