Thursday, January 11, 2007

Thursday, January 11th

'Fiddler on the Roof' rehearsals are in high gear. It looks like it will be a good show if everyone can keep all their lines and lyrics straight. I think I have mine all down now so I can stop worrying about blocking and words and start thinking more about connecting on stage with others and performance nuances to enrich the show. We have six more rehearsals to get it right so I think we will be just fine.

The customary post holiday rush is on in clinic. The kids come home for Christmas, take a good look at mom, and then the phone rings off the hook in January. It's not been quite as bad this year as in some years past but we are getting a lot of 'help me' calls from harried daughters. Nothing we can't handle so far.

The School of Medicine is completely revamping its curriculum starting with this next year's class. We got the initial design this last week. Everything is being integrated around organ systems and there's more small group stuff. Looks, however, like the same basic scientists are responsible for content so I expect the students will continue to get lots of lectures about their research that has only minimal clinical relevance.

Most of the lyrics for 'Politically Incorrect Cabaret 2007: Berlin to Birmingham' are done. Just have a couple more which I should finish this weekend. Then I can relax a bit about that project as the individual acts work on their numbers. I'm doing the old standard, 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' as Donald Rumsfeld pondering Iraq. Should be fun - and a lot easier to sing than last year's German art song.

We caught 'Dreamgirls' at the movies last weekend. We liked it. Jennifer Hudson looks like she has quite a career ahead of her if she chooses her projects carefully.