Friday, September 29, 2006

Friday, September 29th

This week started off with a horrific business trip to Cleveland. Thunderstorms ripped through the southeast on Sunday when I was flying throwing the entire air system into chaos. I boarded my flight in Birmingham at 2:30, then we sat on the tarmac for pushing four hours. Then we got to Atlanta where Hartsfield was a zoo and I sat for another four or five hours. Needless to say, it was well past 2 AM by the time I got to Cleveland and I got four hours of sleep before having to appear for my Monday meetings. (Pharmacy and Therapeutics committee for a Medicare D drug plan). Flew back Monday night without incident but was dog tired by the time I got home.

I read 'The Kite Runner' on one of the flights. Very, very good and I highly recommend it to anyone who would like a good literate read. On the surface, it's the story of two young Afghani men whose lives take different paths against the backdrop of Afghanistan's civil wars and occupations of the last few decades. Underneath, it's about all those great literature themes - family, loyalty, guilt, redemption, connection etc.

Work is more or less in a holding pattern at the moment. We're finally getting some more help in clinic so things should start to improve there over the next few months. I may even be able to take a little time off this winter.

Working on props for 'Little Shop of Horrors' this weekend. That and a theater board meeting that I am not looking forward to for a variety of reasons. We also plan to see friends in a production of 'The Last Five Years' tonight.