Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tuesday, April 29th

I'm not quite as maudlin as I was a few weeks ago. The anniversaries are over and I've been rather busy. I'm sorry to say that Patrick, the cat, continues to decline. He has stopped eating and drinking and today, more or less stopped moving. I'm expecting him to be dead in the morning, and if he is not, I think the time has come to take him to the vet to be put to sleep. He's no longer having any fun. He was still leaping up on the bed as of Sunday so it's a rather sudden change but we know his kidneys are shot and there really isn't anything fixable.

This past weekend was the big tap spectacular. It's a major Birmingham tradition - Time Step studio at the Alabama theater, one of the big old 20s movie palaces downtown. The average age of the 100 or so women is about 55, yet there they all are in their lycra and sequins and false eyelashes and rouge having a great time with a hooting and hollering audience. The dozen men (of whom I am one), are a bit younger, have to do double and triple duty as there are so few of us, and sacrifice all dignity in service of entertainment. This year I appeared in a red Elvis jumpsuit and a barrel, amongst other things. One of my numbers is linked below.



Tommy is in the throes of finals. His last one is tommorrow, then he is off until August. We are headed to New Orleans on Saturday for a bit of a celebration. I have to speak at the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology meetings there on Tuesday of next week. Then we come back and head into 'Music Man' rehearsals and final rehearsals for the gay men's chorus concert scheduled for the 13th. The music for that is sounding pretty good but we could both live without the hootenanny hoedown folk song number.