Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday, June 25th

The theatre conference went well and my talk on Alzheimer's and performing arts was well received. Tommy and I had a couple of extra days in Asheville poking around the town and enjoying the mountain air before returning to the sweatbox of Birmingham. We came back to 95 degrees and 90% humidity and didn't feel like doing a whole lot during our weekend at home. We went to a somewhat sweaty, but very nice outdoor wedding of one of his schoolmates and did a bit of housework, but nowhere near as much as we needed to do.

Last week, we packed up again and headed for Seattle. We spent a few days with the family catching up. My sister has remodeled her basement and is spending most of her time at home tattooing people. She does do her nice work, but it's not for me. My brother and his wife are both busy with their various work careers - in his education and her various entrepreneurial ventures. My mother has memory issues but they are not as bad as I feared they might be and she and my father, despite advanced age and various ailments seem to be doing well in their ususal environment at this point.

The weekend happened to coincide with my 30 year high school reunion so Tommy and I turned up to see the other ex-teenagers who are all now pushing fifty. I went to a small prep school and about a third of the hundred of us were there. I must say that I like the adults my classmates have become. Well educated, well spoken, kind, considerate, successful people. It's also fun to see people that you have known, in some cases, since early childhood. I think Tommy was fascinated to see the kind of folk amongst whom I grew up so now he has a bit better understanding of how I am the way I am.

We came back and plunged back into the usual workaday world. He's helping run an elementary school music camp this week. I am playing catch up at work. I have a new project at the moment. I'm picking up the editorship of an audiotape CME course in Geriatrics. I did it before a number of years ago and they've asked me back. Until we get Tommy out of school, I'm a sucker for anything that pays.